Thursday, June 2, 2016

What Was Little Edna Lillie Holding in Her Sweet Little Hands?

In my previous post, I shared this adorable photo of little Edna Lillie Webster, second child born to my maternal great-grandparents, Watson (Frederick) Emory Webster and Esther Matus Villatoro. You may know Watson as "The Traveling Dentist" here on my blog.

Edna Lillie Webster Curitiba, Brazil - 1916


Edna Lillie Webster in Curitiba, Brazil - 1916

Edna Lillie was born in 1912 and this photo was taken in 1916, so she must have been around 4 years old at the time.

A couple of readers left comments wondering what Edna had in her right hand. I zoomed in on that part of the photo to get a better view of what she was holding.


This looks to me like a box with treats of some kind. Perhaps it's from a bakery or other store. I see what looks like paper that was probably folded over to cover the goodies in the box.

I also zoomed in on what Edna was holding in her left hand.



And it looks like Edna is holding one of the goodies in her left hand. Hmm, I wonder what kind of treat that was.

What do you think Edna Lillie is holding in her sweet little hands?

Thanks for stopping by!

Jana

© 2016 Copyright by Jana Iverson Last, All Rights Reserved

8 comments:

  1. Oh now I see what I thought was a book is a box. Did candy bars exist then? If not candy, could it be a toy of some kind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if candy bars existed in 1916. Maybe they are cookies or dried fruit? I'm not sure. I wish I knew though.

      Delete
  2. I was thinking it must be some kind of candy or treat from the box too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it must be Nicole. I even Googled about baked goods in Brazil in 1916 or history. No luck so far.

      Delete
  3. How interesting to check out these little details. There are always questions to ask when doing family history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree---a treat and it's must have been a good one to rank being in the photo. She looks pretty pleased with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she does look pleased. I wonder what her treat was. Maybe it was an incentive for her to sit there for the photo.

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...