Monday, December 8, 2014

52 Ancestors: #49 ~ Daniel Bromley Webster

This is part of the "52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks" Challenge begun by Amy Johnson Crow, author of the blog No Story Too Small.



I'd like to introduce you to my maternal 3rd great-granduncle, Daniel Bromley Webster. He was the fourth child born to my maternal 4th great-grandparents Augustine Webster and Mary Tyler. In last week's 52 Ancestors post, I introduced you to Daniel's older brother Reverend Ebenezer Tyler Webster, who was born in 1795. I also shared a picture of Ebenezer in that post. Sadly, I don't have a picture of Daniel to share with you.

I am in possession of a two-volume genealogy book called History and Genealogy of the Governor John Webster Family of Connecticut by William Holcomb Webster and Rev. Melville Reuben Webster, D. D. I have the print version of this book. I found that the book is now online at the website Archive.org. If you'd like to read it, click HEREI'm a direct descendant of Governor John Webster. He's my 9th great-grandfather. Within the pages of this wonderful Webster genealogy book I've found information about my Webster family, including Daniel Bromley Webster.

Daniel Bromley Webster was born on 26 September 1799 in Columbia County, New York. At some point in his life, he and his family moved to Ohio. On 11 February 1823 Daniel married Lois Stewart in Rome, Athens, Ohio. Lois was the daughter of Daniel Stewart and Ruth Fulford.

Daniel and Lois were the parents of nine children.

  1. Martha Webster (1823-?)
  2. Eliza Webster (1824-1842)
  3. Hiram Webster (1827-1844)
  4. Lucetta Webster (1829-1851)
  5. Calvary Morris Webster (1832-1867)
  6. Samantha E. Webster (1833-1912)
  7. Sarah Lovisa Webster (1837-1887)
  8. Julia Ann Webster (1839-1930)
  9. Belinda Webster (1840-1843)

Daniel passed away on 15 April 1864 in Athens, Ohio due to smallpox.1 What a horrible death that must have been. How did he contract this? Was there an outbreak in the community? I'll need to do some research to see if I can find answers to these questions. I haven't found any information indicating that his immediate family also contracted this terrible disease. Daniel's wife, Lois, passed away around thirteen years later in 1887.

Thanks for reading!

Jana

© 2014 Copyright by Jana Last, All Rights Reserved



1 Webster, William Holcomb, and Melville Reuben Webster, D.D. "XXVI."History and Genealogy of the Governor John Webster Family of Connecticut. Vol. 1. Rochester: E. R. Andrews Printing, NY. 617. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...